This plugin command removes lines hidden by polygons. It acts like a trimmer to receive a clean set of visible paths only. It does not remove common lines between opened paths, but for closed polygons. You need to install occult plugin for vpype. See vpypetools documentation.
Key phrases: remove overlapping lines, superimposed lines, remove duplicated lines, purge redundant lines, purge doubled lines, remove common edges, remove occulted lines, hidden line removal, retrace edges, chain paths, clean paths
This extension is similar (but superior) to
Also have a look at Purge Duplicate Path Nodes if you only want to remove duplicate knot handles in a path.
Troubleshooting / Upgrade extension
If the extension does not generate any output and you cannot explain why, please check if you have the latest version installed. Sometimes exceptions are hidden which show up when running from console instead.
Typical error like this:
You can remove and reinstall the following way:
Draw some rectangles
Layout edges above each other (simulate having common edges)
Run extension to remove common edges
Move the paths to some other directions to see how the edge removal was worked out
- Total tooling length before vpype conversion: 292.28 mm
- Total traveling length before vpype conversion: 63.61 mm
- Total tooling length after vpype conversion: 219.21 mm
- Total traveling length after vpype conversion: 55.42 mm
- Total tooling length optimized: 25.00 %
- Total traveling length optimized: 12.88 %
Old instructions to install OSGeo4W for Windows
The following steps were required for older vpype-occult versions only.
To use oder occult plugin versions for vpype, we needed to install pygeos library. This library needs C bindings which might fail on Windows. Even if installing pygeos successfully using pip, it might fail. The following solutions works to make occult extension execute successfully. Some additional information can be found at https://pygeos.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html.
- Download and install GEOS library/binaries. You can get this from https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w
- Direct URL to download x64 setup: http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/osgeo4w-setup-x86_64.exe
Set environment variables for GEOS
- GEOS_INCLUDE_PATH = C:\OSGeo4W64\include
- GEOS_LIBRARY_PATH = C:\OSGeo4W64\lib
Install Visual Studio Community Edition 2017 or newer
We need VS to compile pygeos. Downloadable at https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/de/downloads